Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Nice Memorial Day

I hope that you had a nice Memorial Day
I hope that you cleaned up your car
I hope that the sales were all more than ok
And I hope that you cut your whole yard

I hope that your sun shone on Memorial Day
And I hope that your breezes blew soft
I hope that your nice family's picnic was fun
And their laughter helped hold you aloft

I hope that your little white balls all flew straight
And no roughs found their way to your games
But I hope for a moment you paused while you played
And I hope you remembered our names

A weekend-plus-one is the prize that we won
For the deaths we embraced long ago
And I know that it's hard to remember what for
But the boys and me thought you should know

That when you plant plants deep on Memorial Day
We'd like you to think of the roots
That were torn from the earth on that terrible day
When we fell in our worn combat boots

No comments: