Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Emergency Broadcast System


"This is a test of the emergency broadcast system." Remember those days, when the tv would go blank and you'd hear that atonally high-pitched, unnervingly extended electronic beep? I was just sitting out front on a wet, sullen Saturday morning, having coffee with the slugs. It's easy to see where they've been: you can see their slime trails shimmering on the sidewalk in the haze. Examining those trails I suppose it's reasonable to assume that you can also tell where they're headed, and I wonder:

Is that how God looks at me?

Jennifer slept out at the lake with the kids last night, and all the world smells like a saturated leech field. It's been a very wet July. It's been a lot of other things too. I was reading from the Psalms, #50, actually, when I encountered the following: If I were hungry I would not tell YOU! The world is mine, and the fullness thereof. Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats? Offer unto God thanksgiving, pay your vows unto The Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble. I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.

"...call upon me in the day of trouble. I will deliver YOU, and you shall glorify ME." Okay, God, I will take up that challenge. This IS the day of trouble. That horrible, atonal beeping you hear is me, praying. I have written 5 very specific things on pages 40 and 41 of The Book of Psalms. They should not be unduly burdensome for you. As you deliver me, I will glorify you by writing of your specific deliverances in this blog. That seems pretty straight forward to me. Deal?

Deal.

No comments: