Friday, December 5, 2008

Thanksgiving

I'm at the Five Rivers Environmental Center the day after Thanksgiving. I tend to be less thankful at Thanksgiving than at most other times. Maybe it's because there's always so much- so much food, so much drink, so much company, so much noise, so much work, preparations, clean-up, and leftovers. There's just so much of everything. I believe I'm more thankful on most other Thursdays of the year, actually. I'm not complaining, it just is what it is. But to be seated here at a picnic table, under an open-air pavilion overlooking a small pond skimmed with fresh ice, with the morning sun at my back illuminating the waiting page, in 40 degree weather, with a gentle breeze from the west rustling the dry cat tails and milkweed pods- why, who could be more thankful than I am right now? Jen's at home but she's okay with me here. She knows I get crazy. I dreamt last night that I was rubbing turkey grease on her breasts. I woke up at 3:00 am hoping it was real. She said, "I'm sick to my stomach and just threw up." Yeah, I went back to sleep. The only Wild Turkey Trail I'll be exploring is the one here at Five Rivers...

"I come here to find myself. It is so easy to get lost in the world." John Burroughs
(from a sign hung in the pavilion)

No comments: